Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sweet Potato Pancakes


I have been on a total sweet potato bender lately. I'm pretty sure that I have roasted, boiled, baked, and fried more of these delicious little spuds in the last month than I had in the previous two years. We have had sweet potatoes in just about any possible incarnation imaginable and I am still not sick of them. Alex might be, but he is too much of a sweetheart to let me know it.




Tonight, thanks to the Moosewood cookbook that I have renewed from the library for the third (and last allowable) time now, we discovered my new FAVORITE way to ingest my current favorite food. Sweet potato pancakes. These things are so delicious it is slightly unreal. The sweet potatoes keep the pancakes moist, and the sweetness is balanced by the cumin and chili powder so they are delicious with savory foods, but you could always omit the cumin and chili powder, add nutmeg and some sugar along with raisins. Oh the possibilities! Tonight we topped ours with poached eggs, salsa, pepper jack cheese, Greek yogurt and tomatoes.





Sweet Potato Pancakes

Adapted from The Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

  • 1 cup peeled and grated raw sweet potatoes (the potatoes should be grated as finely-using a small hole grater if possible)

  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel (can be omitted if you don't want in a savory rendition)

  • 1 large egg

  • 1 cup milk

  • 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
  • 1 cup flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin

  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large bowl mix the sweet potatoes, lemon peel, egg, milk, oil and butter.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon.

Sir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients being careful not to over stir. Set the batter aside.

Heat a oiled skillet to medium high heat. For each pancake pour about a ladle full or a little less of batter into the skillet and allow to cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until they reach a golden brown color.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah and Alex you two are quite positively GENIUS!!!!! (not sure of the spelling and yes it could be genetic:)) Sweet potatos and pancakes are two of my all time favorite foods and together??? I am going to make them ASAP Thanks guys....Laura of San Jose:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! I love sweet potatoes too, but I prefer them in a savory way. The cumin and chili powders would be a must for me. These look and sound excellent!

    ReplyDelete