- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups large diced onion
- 2 cups large diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves
- 1 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes, chopped either by hand or in a food processor
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups chicken stock (chose no added salt for a healthier dish)
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or soup pan. Make sure that the pan you are using has a lid. Once the oil is hot add the onions an carrots and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and allow to cook for one more minute.
Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, curry, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and cover the pan. Allow the mixture to simmer for 40 minutes or until the lentils are to your liking.
Once the lentils are finished cooking, remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes, and then add the vinegar, stir, and season to taste.